Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Thursday, March 10, 2011

Even when it hurts...

My granddaughter needs to wear special "boots" when she sleeps at night because she was born with a club foot. These boots are not comfortable... they are not pretty... they are not her favorite thing in the world. In fact, my four year old granddaughter absolutely LOATHES these boots.

Tonight, our evening was gonna go like this:
take a BATH
read a STORY/read a STORY
we LAY DOWN
she FALLS ASLEEP
and then I sneak THE BOOTS ON, right?

Well, that didn't happen. Actually, it almost happen. Up until the boot part, I was golden, but she woke up! AND she cried for 40 minutes for me to take those boots off of her.

Did I take them off? NO! I love my granddaughter and it broke my heart to see her so upset. (And she was upset! She cried so hard that she had trouble breathing for minute and I had to go get her something to drink.) But, I know that these boots are going to guarantee that she walks correctly and runs without trouble and will not need surgery in the future. So, I held her and hugged her until she feel back to sleep. (And then I cried for me, because it was hard to see her upset for 40 minutes and not take those boots off.)

To my child and grandchild: I may make mistakes while being your Mom and Nana - sometimes more than I would like to admit, but I will always be there for you... to hear you... to cheer you... to laugh or cry with you... to protect you with my life... and to love you for eternity with all my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment