Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Friday, June 24, 2011

To Judge or Not to Judge...

There have been times in my life that I have come in contact with people (yes, even ones in my church) that I have compared myself to on a "religious scale". For instance, I've seen or heard someone do or say something that I wouldn't necessarily do, and I momentarily - maybe just for a flash - thought to myself... Oh, I'm a better person - a more devout "Christian" than they are. I'm sure we've all felt like that in our lives, even if we don't want to admit to it, but that doesn't make it right.

Maybe our pride gets in our way in these instances, or perhaps we get lazy in our own lives (with our devotions or obligations to our church) and judging others is our way to make up for the insecurities we are feeling. Either way, we can never make ourselves feel better by bringing someone else down. But our job - our mission - is to keep OURSELVES in line, not everyone else! Jesus taught us that...

John 8:2-7(NIV)
2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.



But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”


Always when judging
Who people are,
Remember to footnote
The words "So far."
~Robert Brault


photo - http://artmight.com/Artists/Rembrandt-1606-1669/Christ-and-the-Woman-Taken-in-Adultery-WGA-36100p.html

No comments:

Post a Comment