Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Monday, February 28, 2011

The End of the World as We Know it...

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat
you right. Love the ones who don't, just because you can. Believe
everything happens for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with
both hands." ~ Author Unknown

I was teaching my Sunday school class last week - middle school aged girls - and one of the kids asked me, "Did you think the world is really going to end in 2012?"

If you're not aware of the significance of 2012, here's what Wikipedia has to say about it:

The 2012 phenomenon comprises a range of eschatological beliefs that cataclysmic or transformative events will occur on December 21, 2012,which is said to be the end-date of a 5,125-year-long cycle in the Mayan Long Count calendar. Various astronomical alignments and numerological formula related to this date have been proposed.
A New Age interpretation of this transition posits that during this time Earth and its inhabitants may undergo a positive physical or spiritual transformation, and that 2012 may mark the beginning of a new era. Others suggest that the 2012 date marks the end of the world or a similar catastrophe. Scenarios posited for the end of the world include the Earth's collision with a passing planet (often referred to as "Nibiru") or black hole, or the arrival of the next solar maximum.

Even Hollywood has cashed in on this Mayan prediction. Their catch line - "2012 is an epic adventure about a global cataclysm that brings an end to the world and tells of the heroic struggle of the survivors."

No wonder kids are worried about what's gonna happen in 9 months! So, what did I tell her when she asked me about "the end of the world" as she knows it?

I told her there were many times in my childhood that the same thing was predicted. For instance, let's just look at a few of them:

1977 - Killer bee scare of the late 70's. One prophecy prognosticator linked the bees to Rev 9:3-12.
1982 - It was all going to end in 1982, when the planets lined up and created magnetic forces that would bring Armageddon to the earth.
1988 - "When Your money fails" hits the book stands claiming that the 666 system is here, referring to THE MARK from Revelation.

1990's - 76 members died as a result of David Koresh and his teaching at Ranch Apocalypse in Waco, Texas.
1998 - Numerology: Because 666 times three equals 1998 some people pointed to this year as being a prophetically significant year.
2000 - Numerology: If you divide 2000 by 3, you will get the devil's number 666.66666666666667.
2000 - The names of the people and organizations that have called for the return of Christ, at the turn of the century, is too long to be listed here.

So, now we come to 2012. The only thing we can really tell anyone about the end of times is this:

Mark 13:32 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

So, I'll read the quote I copied at the beginning of this post again, and I'll live everyday like there's no tomorrow! I hope you do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment