Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Merry Go Round

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

I find it interesting that the characteristics listed in the above Bible verses are called "FRUIT". It got me to wondering... If you think of fruit, say an apple for instance, in a literal sense, these words take on a much more complex meaning.

The parts of an apple are the skin, the flesh, the core, the seeds, the stem, and the leaves. Each part has it's own purpose: The skin is the part that covers the outside of the apple, and protects the inside parts of the apple. The flesh is the juicy part of the apple that you eat. It's juicy because it holds water. The core is the center part of the apple that has the seed pockets. The seed pockets hold the seeds. The seeds are the little black dots inside the core. They can grow into new apple trees if you plant them and take care of them. The stem is the slender twig that connects the apple to the tree. It carries food and water into the apple. The leaves are the little flat, green parts of the tree that cover the branches. They make food for the apple so it can grow.



So, if we are truly to be led by the Spirit, and honestly open ourselves up to "Love our neighbors as ourselves”, we need to use every part of the apple or we sell ourselves short.

Of course, the flesh is the best part of the apple... the part everyone wants, but if the stem didn't carry food and water to the apple - it would die. And the seeds grow new apples. The life Jesus has given us is the flesh of the apple... His WORD is the stem. The seeds are what we plant in other people. We are capable of planting those seeds because we've opened ourselves to the "Fruit of the Spirit" - love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

It's all like a Merry Go Round. Make sure you jump on!

No comments:

Post a Comment