Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Thursday, April 28, 2011

"Wrath of God" OR "Mother Nature"

Some parts of the city that I live in, like other areas across the country,are currently under water. We haven't had this much flooding since 1997. I went out today and took pictures throughout town - lots of people were out doing the same thing.



Several states away, in Alabama, families are suffering the loss of loved ones to horrific tornadoes. Many are still looking for family members.

Last night in my weekly Bible study class we discussed what many people are asking themselves in times like this... Is God causing this devastation? If you ask yourself this, you must also ask yourself some of the follow:

A) Why did God allow September 11th?
B) Why do innocent people die in drunk driving accidents?
C) Why do good people suffer from terminal illnesses?
D) Why does God allow children to be born with birth defects?
E) Why does God allow thousands of people to die in "natural disasters" (ie earthquakes, hurricanes)?

This is my opinion on the whole matter:
1.) God is a LOVING God. Proof of this - John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. AND 2Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

2.) We have FREE WILL. Proof of this - Joshua 24:15 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”

SO...
In regards to A & B, since we all have free will, we unfortunately can sometimes be hurt by others actions. For instance, the terrorists of 9/11 made a decision to harm as many people as they could when they flew the planes into the World Trade Center buildings. They were responsible for the deaths of 2752 innocent people.

Regarding C,D & E, These things are a part of life... and death. They have always been and will always be. I don't know why they are, but I do NOT believe that God is using them as a punishment for anyone. What I do know is this: We are never alone in our struggles - Romans 8:26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 2 Corinthians 5:1,5 For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands... Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Now, "Wrath of God" or "Mother Nature"? I say neither. I'll just call it - LIFE, but I thank God He's on the journey with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment