Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Be Careful Little Mouth What You Say

“Man, I don’t like working with that dude. He’s Bi-Polar or something.” – That’s what the cashier was telling his buddy, the bagger, while I was standing there watching my total on the register go higher and higher – despite the fact I was using my Kroger discount card. I just kept looking at the register and started thinking to myself – let it go or say something? Well, after 10 years of letting it go, I said something. As my order came to an end and the bagger walked away, I looked this little 12 year old boy – okay maybe he was 16 or 17 – in the eye and I said, “You know, I’m Bi-Polar. You might wanna be careful what you say in front of customers.” He totally didn’t get my point because he came back with some line about how it seems everybody has “IT” now a-days and this dude he works with must not be taking meds or something.
Anyway, the way I feel about – if you don’t know anything about – okay, I’ll say it “Mental Illness” – keep your comments to yourself. If you don’t know what it’s like to wake up in the morning with your heart completely aware that God has given you a wonderful family and the best friends in world but your head telling you that it’s gonna take every ounce of control that you have to get out of bed, put a smile on, and actually face those people – you have no idea what it’s like to live with Depression. AND, if you’ve never been so Manic that you’ve felt like a Pressure Cooker that’s gonna blow all over the four walls of your mind – you have no idea what WE go through. Even some of my friends are flippant about the subject and they know about my struggle. So, please be mindful of what you say.
Medication can help to control Bi-Polar. There is no medication for ignorance – only education.

No comments:

Post a Comment