Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Wednesday, July 28, 2010

When it started….

I was diagnosed Bi Polar in 1999. Up to that point, it was anybody’s guess what was wrong with me. Quite frankly, over the years, I just thought I was losing my mind! “IT” probably started about the same time that puberty did – when I was 11. I knew that I wasn’t the same as everyone else – that my feelings weren’t the same. What was the earliest sign? I couldn’t seem to process all the feelings that seemed to surround me 24/7. Not just the normal, teenage stuff. I’m talking suicidal thoughts. Some serious – some not so much.
I had so much pain on the inside that I couldn’t understand what was going on with me. So, I counteracted that inside pain with outside pain. Kids that feel that kind of pain today are probably “cutters”. But there weren’t any cutters that I was aware of in the 70s and 80s. (I’m sure there were, I just didn’t know them.) Instead, I was a “hitter.” I hit myself with nail polish bottles, my fists, pretty much anything that would get the job done. Real pain makes you forget mental pain. When my parents saw the bruises they thought I got them through normal adolescent rough housing.
Anyway, that’s when it started and it’s never ended. It’s definitely calmed over the years with medication – but it is now and will always be there. Of course, the peek was in 1999 – That’s why I was diagnosed then and not before.

No comments:

Post a Comment