Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Sunday, January 16, 2011

Danny and the Dinosaur...

When I was a young girl, one of my favorite books was Danny and the Dinosaur. I loved the things that Danny did with the dinosaur he met at the museum. So, when I recently saw a copy of this book at a second hand store, I grabbed it right away and put it in my cart. I couldn't wait for the chance to read it to my granddaughter. She'll be four next month and her imagination is so cute right now. Anyway, tonight was the night for the big reveal!

After supper, I gave the kids a bath and we settled down in the bed... me in the middle. I pulled out Danny and the Dinosaur, and my granddaughter said, "Let's read The Cat in the Hat first!" Okay, so I was a little disappointed, but I was still excited.

We read her book, and after wards I got Danny ready, and we all settled in on the pillows again. I hadn't made it past page two before my granddaughter started reading The Cat in the Hat to herself and her brother started saying "Nana, Nana, Nana, Nana" over and over... and then he turned sideways in the bed and began kicking the wall. (He'll be two next month.)

Anyway, once I got them calmed down, I tried to start AGAIN... I made through one more page before the kids started the "Nana, he's touching me!" thing. So, I just laid there and read the rest of the book to myself. It was everything I remembered.

I so wanted the kids to love Danny and the Dinosaur as much as I did when I was young. But, they could care less right now. I'm sure when they grow up, they will probably feel the same way about Dora the Explorer... or the first book they are able to read on their own as I do about Danny. (I would love to introduce her to Shirley Temple, too!)

But, the memories of our past can't be our kid's or grand-kid's memories, and our dreams can't be their dreams either. We can only be there for our loved ones and help nurture them... encourage them and protect them. That's what makes memories for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment