Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Can I Sit Here?

State of the Union Bipartisan Seating Made a Difference
By Susan Milligan
Posted: January 26, 2011
"It was a show. A charade, arguably. A public relations ploy that was all about trying to look bipartisan in the wake of the Tucson tragedy, without the true substance of cross-party cooperation behind it.
And I still loved it."

For an hour last night, Republicans and Democrats, Senators and House Representatives, came together in unity in an attempt to "rekindle the common spark that brought them together from 50 different states and widely diverging backgrounds to serve the public good."* Maybe it was just a show (as Susan Milligan suggest)... maybe it won't even be repeated in the future... and yes, it probably was just done as a result of the assassination attempt on AZ Rep. Gabrielle Gifford from several week ago. But, hopefully it was a start to a different way of thinking.

Regardless of your race, color, gender, national origin, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status...
Regardless of your views on immigration, national health care, or any other political "hot" topics...
Regardless of your economic status, who your friends are, or which if the 50 states you live in...
Regardless... You have been given the RIGHT to vote (and your opinions), but remember that everyone else has been given that right, too.

If we are to ever hope for respect of our views and opinions, we MUST offer that same right to others. There will always be others that do not agree with us - just as we will not always agree with everyone else. That's the beauty in life! But, we all CAN live in peace.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 "...and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders..." Sometimes I feel this verse is speaking directly to me - lol.


*Excerpt from Letter to Congressional Leadership Regarding Bipartisan Seating at the State of the Union Address

No comments:

Post a Comment