Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Thursday, September 30, 2010

“Just Chillaxin’”


As I was lying on the couch today, “chillaxin’” as the kids call it (chillin’ and relaxin’), snuggled under a light cover, the windows open… allowing a slight fall breeze to flow through the house – my two furry babies fast asleep by my side (occasionally snorting and snoring), I was reminded of a conversation I had with a friend of mine earlier in the year.

This friend of mine and I both volunteer for an animal welfare organization, and we were talking about how wonderful it is how often dogs are rescued from local shelters and later trained to become service animals. She then told me something really amazing… something that I had never heard before.

She, like I, suffers from depression. However, she chose not to use traditional medications to treat her depression. Instead she is using natural remedies to manage her disease. While I knew this information, I found the following very fascinating: Her doctor has “prescribed” her dog (a small breed mutt) as her service animal.

Because she gets very anxious and agitated, and she draws comfort from the familiarity of her beloved furry baby, she is allowed to take him out with her, in public settings, anywhere any other service animal would be allowed to go. If it were not for the creativity of this doctor, my friend would very likely be a prisoner in her own home during the times she needs to be out and around other people the most.

Now, she told me she gets very skeptical looks from a lot of people and is questioned from time to time – most times being asked to show her credentials before being allowed to bring her canine into a facility. But once she shows her certification, she isn’t turned away. Heck, I can understand people being uncertain about the situation.

I’ve written many times about the taboo of mental illness. I’m sure even though proprietors accept her paperwork that some still don’t understand her situation. But, I’m glad that her doctor was open minded enough to try something different so that just one more person with this disease called depression can live her life a bit more like other folks. KUDOS!

No comments:

Post a Comment