Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Friday, September 10, 2010

Reflections

Well, 9/11 is once again upon us and this year has promised to bring even more conflict for each one of us to reflect upon. Several things have happened in the last several weeks/months that have seemed to outrage many people. People, like you and I, have wounds still fresh from September 11, 2001. It sometimes feels impossible to believe that nine years has passed since that horrific day when men, women, religions, and countries stood against each other. The actions carried out that day forcing so many others together to seek comfort in the chaos.

Now, nine years later, we are again faced with issues that threaten the harmony and peace – the very essence of safety – that we’ve managed to build in our minds. Something is threatening the comfort that has gotten us where we are today. Anger is escalating. Why?

Because just two blocks north of the former World Trade Center site, Muslim worshipers plan to turn the old Burlington Coat Factory into a major Islamic cultural center, including a Mosque, and that outrages a lot of people. Just down the street from this site is the Museum of Jewish Heritage, which honors victims of the Holocaust. Plus, right around the corner is New York's oldest Catholic house of worship, St. Peter's Church. So, why are people having a problem with a Muslim Mosque coming into the neighborhood?

Well, here are two reasons that some people are giving:
Muslim terrorists murdered over 2,700 people in the name of Allah on Sept. 11, 2001.
This Muslim Mosque will be located just two blocks away from the site of those deaths (aka Ground Zero).

Maybe these reasons, and perhaps others, are what got Pastor Terry Jones “ready for battle” recently. Pastor Jones, and his congregation of 50 at The Dove World Outreach Center, originally planned on burning the Holy Word of the Muslims - The Qur’an (Koran)- on Saturday, September 11, 2010, as a protest to the building of the Mosque in NY. When I began writing this post, he publicly announced that he no longer will be following through with this demonstration (coincidentally after he received a call from the Defense Secretary). Instead, Pastor Jones stated that he would be meeting with Imam Muhammad Musri for a face to face discussion. Then, after finding out that his demands would not be met (basically the Mosque was still going to be built), Pastor Jones,said the bonfire of "sacred texts" was simply “suspended.”

We are not capable of knowing what is in the hearts of the group planning to build the Mosque in New York or what their true intentions are with their building plans, but we do know the following:

Two religions are represented in this conflict: One group claiming allegiance to Allah and the other to God.
Two radical actions (have been or plan to be taken): One on 9/11/01 and One possibly on 9/11/10; One involving Islamic terrorists / One involving a misguided Pastor; Both historically changing 9/11 forever.
Neither action represents Love… which is what Allah and God are all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment