Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Friday, September 24, 2010

Telling the Past


Granma and Granpa wanted me to know of the past, for “If ye don’t know the past, then ye will not have a future. If ye don’t know where your people have been, then ye won’t know where your people are going.” And so they told me most of it.
The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter

In today’s society, genealogy is THE fad. Everyone wants to know where they came from. But is that really the truth? Do they really want to know WHERE they came from or just WHO they came from? To really know where we came from we must know the triumphs and struggles of our ancestors – not just their names.

I want my granddaughter to know where she came from. If she does, maybe she’ll understand why I feel so passionate about certain things. I feel my past has made me who I am today. But how do you teach them about the past? Be creative. For instance, I have a small pair of praying hands on the bookcase in my living room that was made by an Indian Chief in North Carolina. The Indian Chief made this small sculpture - and others like it - as a means to support his family. I was drawn to it because it reminded me of my paternal grandmother. She was of Indian lineage. That pair of praying hands will be a great “hands on” tool to use when telling my granddaughter about her great-great grandmother.

I also have a book that displays stories, pictures, and important dates about my family, my husband’s family, and my son’s father’s family. This book will prove to be a valuable asset to my son and granddaughter when I’m long gone. In addition, I’ve completed a “List Yourself” book that has given me an opportunity to write a lot of stories about my life. I’ve secured this book for my son upon my death. Plus, I believe this blog provides information for my family about me.

For some reason, I am comfortable when I write on these pages. Most times, I feel pushed by a power I can’t explain - I can only describe it as a stirring in my heart. I hope my words touch your heart as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment