Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Thursday, September 23, 2010

Testing God

I was listening to my trusty talk radio the other day and I heard something that puzzled me. A guest on the show simply stated that something happened in her life that caused her to question God’s actions - not her belief or faith in Him - just His actions. The host of the show immediately relied, “First of all, we should never question God”, and then she continued on with the remainder of her comment.

I guess I personally disagree with the comment the host of the show made regarding our “right” to question our Creator. Even King David questioned God when his men weren’t happy with the strategy he gave them in a time of battle. Did David inquire of God a second time hoping for a different answer or for clarification?

1 Samuel 23: 1 When David was told, "Look, the Philistines are fighting against Keilah and are looting the threshing floors," 2 he inquired of the LORD, saying, "Shall I go and attack these Philistines?"
The LORD answered him, "Go, attack the Philistines and save Keilah." 3 But David's men said to him, "Here in Judah we are afraid. How much more, then, if we go to Keilah against the Philistine forces!" 4 Once again David inquired of the LORD, and the LORD answered him, "Go down to Keilah, for I am going to give the Philistines into your hand."

Many times I have asked God what His will is in my life. I’ve felt the direction He wants me to go… I’ve heard the answer in my heart. Yet, I’ve gone to Him again because I wanted to be sure. I wanted to be absolutely certain it was His will and not my own that I was following.

Other times, when hurt and heartache have made their way into my life, I have questioned God as to why these things are happening. I am only human. Even on the cross, Jesus felt that confusion. Because when He was here on earth, He was HUMAN while He was holy.

Matthew 27:46 About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

I believe that God is big enough to handle our insecurities and that through them He will hold us in His loving embrace. Of course, He hasn’t forsaken us and He is with us always. In my painful moments, like my battle with depression or suffering with my physical disabilities, I feel He's even closer to me. Thanks Be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment