Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Friday, December 24, 2010

A MOM’s Night Before Christmas

T'was the night before Christmas, and in my living room,
The noise was deafening, kinda like a sonic boom.
The stockings were flung by the dog on the floor
The unwrapped gifts were stacked by the door.

The children were wrestling & jumping on their beds,
And hitting each other (with bats) on their heads.
And me in my nightgown, and dad in his briefs,
Had just sat down for a little relief.

When out on the roof there was a noise like no other,
I sprang from the couch, (hoping it wasn’t my brother.)
Away to the yard I ran like a gazelle,
And I slipped on the ice and began to yell.

Ten or twelve inches of new-fallen snow
Covered all the sidewalks and the wind began to blow.
When, what to my weary eyes should I see,
But Santa’s sleigh, crashed right into a tree.

I ran over to him so fast and so quick,
I checked the vitals on Good Ole St Nick.
Then, I looked for footprints, where were the deer?
They had to be some, somewhere crashed here!

"Hey Dasher! Hey, Dancer! Hey, Prancer and Vixen!
Where’s, Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen?
They were laying in the driveway – wrecked by my car.
I hollered, “Hey, Rudolph! How’d you get that far?”

So, they gathered back together, with Santa in tow.
Heading for the sky, they were ready to go.
They left some toys for my kids to play,
Just a few more hours until Christmas Day.

So, I went back inside and fixed us some dinner
Macaroni and cheese, It’s always a winner.
Once we were done, I sent them to bed.
They asked “Why?” - “Because, that’s what I said!”

I cleaned up the house and lit up the tree.
Wrapped up the presents, too tired to see.
I picked up the stockings, hung them on the wall,
Put apples, oranges and candy in all.

I turned on the oven, baking some more
Pies, Hams, cookies, and a few Petit-fours.
The family would be here tomorrow by noon
There’s so much to finish, time’d be over soon.

At 6 am, I climbed into bed,
I fell asleep when the pillow met my head.
The kids woke me at 6:15 on the dot!
Anxious to show me what each of them got.

See what Santa brought me! – They all cried with glee!
But I was so tired, I just couldn’t see!
New toys they each had, things that made noise.
New baseball bats for each of the boys.

When Christmas was gone, I felt kinda sad,
Through all the chaos, it’s wasn’t too bad.
Spending time with the family really was best.
It made it much easier to deal with the rest.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment