Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Thursday, December 9, 2010

Time...

Continuing on with our twelve days of "gifts" that we all can give to each other - gifts that won't cost us a thing...

On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...TIME.

When I was in high school, I belonged to a group called Teens Who Care (TWC). We volunteered at Nursing Homes and other facilities. Even as a teenager I knew that I was doing a good thing, and it felt great to do something selfless for someone else.

One of the ways we can make a difference anytime of the year – not just at Christmas – is by offering a little bit of ourselves to others in need. There are so many organizations that help people (and animals), that you are bound to find something that is a good fit for you.

I have listed some organizations below (in the Kentuckiana area) that you can research. You can also "Google" organizations in your area. Hopefully, you can find somewhere that you would love to give of yourself and your TIME.

The Shepherd's Shelter Inc. - http://shepherdsshelter.org/
The Shepherd’s Shelter Inc., TSSI, is a 501c3 non-profit, faith-based organization founded in 2001 by a small group of caring citizens concerned about the increasing number of Bullitt County families facing a growing housing crisis. The commitment of this grassroots effort has resulted in Bullitt County’s first organized effort to prevent and end homelessness through a continuum of care. TSSI is now providing emergency shelter, transitional housing, permanent housing and supportive services designed to help participants gain a high level of self-sufficiency that will break the cycle of recurring homelessness.

Ronald McDonald House® - http://rmhc-kentuckiana.org/what-we-do/ronald-mcdonald-house/
The first Ronald McDonald House opened in Philadelphia over thirty years ago, inspired by the empathy for families with seriously ill children needing care at hospitals far from home. Ronald McDonald House Charities® was founded to carry out the work of what has become one of the most far-reaching non-profit agencies in the world. Dedicated in memory of McDonald’s founder and children’s advocate Ray Kroc, the Charity now supports about 293 Ronald McDonald Houses serving over 10 million families worldwide.

HOPE for Pets Inc - http://www.hopeforpets.org/
HOPE for Pets is a 501(C)3 non-profit organization. HOPE is dedicated to improving the lives of stray, shelter and companion animals in Bullitt County, Ky. Their programs are designed to eliminate pet overpopulation and provide assistance for pet care needs to the elderly, low-income and special need members of our community. They also offer educational programs and material regarding responsible pet ownership.

Home of the Innocents - http://www.homeoftheinnocents.org/
Since 1880, the Home has provided services for those children and their families in the community facing severe crisis – abused, abandoned and neglected children, medically fragile children and children with autism.

Big Brothers Big Sisters of Kentuckiana - http://www.bbbs.org/
For over a century, Big Brothers and Big Sisters have helped children reach their potential through professionally supported one-to-one relationships with proven results.

Acts 20:35
In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment