Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Seriously?

I spent most of today lounging on the couch, watching Lifetime Television. Then, my husband comes in and gets possession of the remote. Within two minutes the channel flippin’ begins – AMC, TNT, ABC, etc. Seriously? What is it with guys that force them to change the station every five seconds? Are they afraid they’re gonna miss something?

I remember when I was young… we had two channels on the television that came in good – 3 and 11 – and two other channels that my dad had to go outside and move the antenna around to get in on a windy day – 32 and 41. The only remote my dad had was me! You found something even slightly interesting on tv, you watched it til it was over. Seriously!

Yesterday my three and half year old granddaughter was at our house. She received about TWENTY new toys, that she can keep here, for Christmas. (These toys were from us, her dad, my mom, sister and friends – not just from us.) She played with nearly every single one sometime during the day. Then, last night, she came to me and said she was bored! Seriously?

When I was a child, we got ONE big present for Christmas and a COUPLE of small things. The rest of our presents were clothes. We never got BORED around our house, because if we did, my dad would happily find something to occupy our time. Seriously! (Gosh, I feel like I’m gonna break out in….”and we walked to school, up-hill – both ways” LOL.)

It’s amazing to me how much “things” (and we) change in the years from childhood to adulthood. But, if we don’t lose our sense of humor, I’ll think we’ll be okay.

Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment