Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Easy Button


You ever wish you had an “Easy Button?” I bet if there were such a thing as an Easy Button for life, Staples would be sold out all the time. People, on the average, tend to look for the easy way out of situations, don’t they? Heck, why wouldn’t they? If we could just look at a basket of dirty laundry, ladies, and it magically wash, dry, iron and hang its self up, wouldn’t we be pretty ecstatic? If we could get a 40 hour paycheck and only work 10 hours a week, wouldn’t we do it? But, you know what? I’ve never found a boss that was willing to go for that and I bet you haven’t either.
The fact of the matter is this… If you want the privilege of living in a huge home and driving a luxury car, you’re gonna have to put some hours in at work. If you want a fantastic relationship with your spouse, you’re gonna have to listen to what they say and appreciate their feelings and needs. If you want an education, you’re gonna have to hit the books. In almost every instance in life – when you want something, you have to give something (of yourself).
I’ll tell you something else, too. The harder I had to work at getting something in life – a college degree, for instance – the sweeter the success! It seems when something is handed to you, it’s easier to take it for granted. (Now, I wouldn’t have agreed with that at all when I was younger!)
Sometimes, life has dealt me situations that have made me feel like just giving up. But, when I made it through those times, I noticed that I was stronger. I fought to get through those times – no one else could do it for me… and the next time darkness comes my way, I know I will have the strength to beat it again.
A past preacher once told me:

God tests you to bring out your best…
Satan tempts you to bring out your worst.

I choose not to take the “Easy Button” when it comes to my disease because I believe that’s what Satan wants me to do.



Easy Button – a product of Staples, Inc

No comments:

Post a Comment