Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Saturday, August 7, 2010

Wii, Wii, Wii all the way to change

My husband and I just recently purchased a Wii. If you’re not familiar with the Nintendo Wii Gaming System – it makes it possible for you to “simulate” certain activities in the comfort of your home. For instance, with our system, we purchased a package that included bowling, golf, tennis, frisbee throwing, etc. My husband likes playing nearly all of the games but I have some back problems and I’m kinda partial to the bowling game.
Anyway, it’s seems almost every time my husband and I bowl against each other, and he’s not bowling well, he wants to start the game over! Now, we’re talking about a man who is almost 60 years old! Of course, I won’t let him hit the reset button. I tell him it’s not fair. I told him just today, “You can’t start life over if you don’t like the way it’s going.” Then, we both looked at each other for a second - You know what? Yes you can!
Years ago, when I didn’t like the way my life was going, I decided to hit the reset button. Years of living in fear and confusion because I didn’t understand what was going on inside my brain needed to end. I realized that choosing not to do something to change your life IS making a choice and I couldn’t live with that choice any longer. I decided to make a change.
When you suffer from mental illness, it’s a little like alcoholism, eating disorders or drug abuse. No one can make an alcoholic stop drinking…. No one can make a drug addict stop doing drugs… No one can make an anorexic eat. The same is true of someone suffering from a manageable mental illness. NO ONE can make you take your meds. NO ONE can make you go to counseling. NO ONE can make you hit the reset button… Only you.

No comments:

Post a Comment