Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Have you ever felt alone with your depression?

The following is an excerpt from en.wikipedia.org:

This is a list of people who have, or have had, depression. A number of well-known people have suffered from major depressive disorder. While depression was sometimes seen as a shameful secret until the 1970s, society has since begun discussing depression more openly. Earlier figures were often reluctant to discuss or seek treatment for depression due to social stigma about the condition, or due to ignorance of diagnosis or treatments. Some historical personalities are presumed to have suffered from depression based on analysis or interpretation of letters, journals, artwork, writings or statements of family and friends.

(I have only included a select number of the 195 names from the website list.)

Hans Christian Andersen, Danish writer
Terry Bradshaw, American football player
Drew Carey, American comedian and actor
Jim Carrey, Canadian actor and comedian
Agatha Christie, English crime writer
Kirsten Dunst, American actress
T. S. Eliot, American poet
Harrison Ford, American actor
Vincent van Gogh, Dutch painter
Anne Hathaway, American actress
Ernest Hemingway, American writer
Ashley Judd, American actress
Beyoncé Knowles, American singer-songwriter
Hugh Laurie, British actor
Martin Luther, German priest and theologian
Michelangelo, Italian painter and sculptor
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Austrian composer
Isaac Newton, British physicist
Marie Osmond, American musician
J. K. Rowling, British writer
Mark Twain, American writer
Mike Wallace, American journalist on 60 Minutes

These people are/were amazing people in their fields! What astounding minds… Newton, Hemingway and T S Eliot. What amazing talent… Mozart , Michelangelo and Van Gogh. They achieved miraculous things in their lifetimes despite their mental illnesses. I may not like this disease called depression but it’s encouraging to me to be included in a list such as this!

No comments:

Post a Comment