Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Wednesday, August 11, 2010

“You’ve been complaining ever since you got here.”

Every 10 years, the monks in the monastery are allowed to break their vow of silence to speak 2 words. Ten years go by and it’s one monk’s first chance. He thinks for a second before saying, “Food bad.” Ten years later, he says, “Bed hard.” It’s the big day, a decade later. He gives the head monk a long stare and says, “I quit.” “I’m not surprised,” the head monk says. “You’ve been complaining ever since you got here.”*

I was 29 when I stopped smoking. Coincidently, I was 29 when I started taking my first anti-depressant. My son, bless his heart, told me a couple of weeks later, “Mom, I’m glad you quit smoking. You were mean when you smoked!” He had no idea that the anti-depressants were what had made me less “mean”. He thought the cigarettes were the culprit to my anger. I think I was more relieved than my son that I wasn’t “mean” anymore. It tears a person up to carry around that much anger.

You see, when I was younger, I was “complicated” (to put it nicely). I was like the monk in the joke. If there was something to complain about - I found it. Then, I made sure that everyone around me knew about my unhappiness with the situation. Sometimes, if I felt more out of sorts that normal, I would actually look for something to be upset about. Why? My best guess would be – I wanted everyone else to feel the confusion, anger, unease, rage, displacement, hurt, and madness that I was feeling. The confused feelings that I had 24/7 that would not go away.

My “madness” peeked when I was 23 or 24 and continued until I was diagnosed Manic Depressive at 33. Even with the anti-depressants I was given, the cycling really got out of control. (I had to go through several medication rotations before finding a regimen that worked for me.) My lows were very low… I would spend days in bed without eating or showering - crying uncontrollable. My highs were just as bad. I once charged about $2000 while shopping in a matter of days…. Money I didn’t have. I had no idea what was wrong with me! That was a very long 10 years of living in my own personal Hell. (Not to mention what I subjected my family and friends to in the process.)

One of the reasons it took me so long to get help…. I was embarrassed to get help! I was embarrassed to tell someone how I was feeling! I had gone to counseling most of my adult life and yet I hadn’t even been honest with my therapist during those years. I couldn’t explain how I felt on the inside without sounding like I was crazy. I felt I couldn’t tell her how I was acting at home without her thinking less of me. Mental Illness was/is so TABOO. But, finally, I decided to open up – It was either get better or give up.

If you are struggling, remember: Your life can be amazing…. I know – I’ve made it through the darkness to be here today!


*From Reader’s Digest June 2009 America’s 10 Funniest Jokes
Joke #4 Submitted by Alan Lynch

No comments:

Post a Comment