Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Friday, August 27, 2010

Pop Quiz



Grab a piece of paper, write down your answer – Check your accuracy at the end.

1.One in (4 10 25) adults experiences a mental health disorder in a given year.
One in (7 17 30) lives with a serious mental illness such as schizophrenia, major depression or bipolar disorder.
About one in (10 20 30) children live with a serious mental or emotional disorder.

2.Major depressive disorder affects (5.8 6.7 12.6) percent of adults. According to the 2004 World Health Report, this is the leading cause of disability in the US and Canada for persons (15-44 23-50 18-48).

3.Anxiety disorders, including panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), generalized anxiety disorder and phobias, affect about (10.6 18.7 25.5) percent of adults.

4.One-half of all lifetime cases of mental illness begin by age (14 18 26), three-quarters by age (19 24 31).

5.Fewer than one-third of adults and (1/4 1/3 1/2) of children with a diagnosable mental disorder receive mental health services in a given year.

6.Suicide is the eleventh-leading cause of death in the Unites States and the (3rd 5th 9th) leading cause of death for people ages 10-24 years. More than (70 80 90) percent of those who die by suicide have a diagnosable mental disorder.

7.Over (25 40 50) percent of students with a mental disorder age 14 and older drop out of high school—the highest dropout rate of any disability group.


Maybe, just maybe, by talking about these statistics we can make a change in them. Mental illness doesn’t have to continue being a taboo subject. We can make a difference! It sometimes takes just one person to start a movement.

Statistical information: www.nami.org - Mental Illness: FACTS AND NUMBERS
“Simply put, treatment works, if you can get it. But in America today, it is clear that many people living with mental illness are not provided with the essential treatment they need.”
—Michael J. Fitzpatrick, executive director of NAMI National, National Alliance on Mental Illness, Grading the States 2006, Arlington, Va.

Answers:
1. 4, 17, 10
2. 6.7, 15-44
3. 18.7
4. 14, 24
5. ½
6. 3rd, 90%
7. 50%

Photo - www.course-notes.org

No comments:

Post a Comment