Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Saturday, October 2, 2010

Can animals get depressed?

My husband was reading “The Local Weekly” yesterday. He shared some interesting facts that somehow in my forty-four years of life had escaped me. For instance, Scientists have proven that cows that have been named by their owners produce more milk. And, how about this little piece of information? Chickens can suffer from depression.

Now, I have to admit, I kinda chuckled as I heard the latter of these two tidbits of scientific data. Don’t get me wrong. I believe animals have feelings. I see it in my dog’s eyes when I’m leaving the house and they want to go with me. I see it when they are scared of a stranger or thunderstorms or the vet and they look to me for comfort. I’m a huge activist for animals in shelters, etc. But, I guess I was caught off guard when my husband read about chickens being depressed. I don’t even know what kind of test they would do to determine those results. I would assume it would be similar to any other animal.

Then, today a really funny thing happened. We were watching a special on television about dairy farms. Sure enough, the farmers were reinforcing what the magazine stated (about the cows, not the chickens). If cows are “happy”, they will produce more milk. As a result, a lot of dairy farms have switched the way they manage their day to day activities. The animals are allowed to be milked when they want and they can roam the farm instead of being kept in stalls. The farmers are happier and the cows are happier.

Well, I know that depression can affect many aspects of a person’s life. And, I have seen a pet after an owner or a member of their “pack” has passed away. The affect is basically the same. Plus, I know that I am more productive when I am happy. Evidently, cows are too! So, is it too far a stretch to think that maybe we (people and animals) may be wired somewhat the same emotionally?

And then I started thinking... Why is it so easy for me to think that my dogs have feelings, yet I chuckled when I heard that chickens may suffer from depression? Is it because I don't have any chickens living with me day after day? Is it because I eat chicken for dinner? I eat beef, though not that often,(I just don't care for it that much), but I totally believed the story about happy cows. I don't know why I feel the way I do. I just thought the whole thing was pretty interesting. I hope you did, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment