Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Friday, October 15, 2010

A Hero


When I was younger, I loved to watch my mom when she applied her make-up. I would sit there (on the toilet seat), and stare in amazement, as she applied all the colors from her compact, and used all the brushes and tools in her bag, and she transformed from “my mom” into a woman of stunning beauty. I dreamed of the day that I would become old enough to use those items. Heck, I was even excited the day she sat me down and told me that she was going to teach me how to pluck me eyebrows. (However, that excitement did not last long. Ladies, you know what I’m talking about!) Anyway, throughout my childhood, I can’t remember a day that my mom didn’t get up - and first thing - head to the bathroom to “make herself up”.

My mom had cancer years ago – for the second time – and I worried about her terribly. You see, the first time she had cancer, I was just a child and I barely remembered it. I was too small to really understand what was going on with her… too young to worry. But the second time – yes, I was plenty old enough to know what was happening, and I was plenty worried. The first time I went to my mom’s house to stay with her after a chemo treatment, I was amazed… she had on her make up! Even though she felt like – I’ll say it – CRAP, she was putting on a “face” for herself and her family. I don’t know why I was surprised.

My mom (Moma) is a strong woman. She has been through a lot of things that would make some women doubt their faith, or have a negative outlook on life. She has faced a deadly disease (twice) and came out stronger because of it. The Christmas after she finished her chemo, I wrote down the lyrics to the song below for her. The way I look at it, if you're lucky enough to meet a “Hero” in your lifetime, you should make sure to let them know they're a special person... even if they are your mother.

Hero – Mariah Carey*
There's a hero if you look inside your heart
You don't have to be afraid of what you are
There's an answer if you reach into your soul
And the sorrow that you know will melt away
And then a hero comes along with the strength to carry on
And you cast your fears aside and you know you can survive
So when you feel like hope is gone look inside you and be strong
And you'll finally see the truth that a hero lies in you
It's a long road and you face the world alone
No one reaches out a hand for you to hold
You can find love if you search within yourself
And the emptiness you felt will disappear

*1st verse and chorus

Photo - http://makeup.lovetoknow.com/Eye_Makeup_Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment