Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What's MY Gift?

My husband was working on my car today. It ended up taking about 5 hours to do what should have been a 15 minute job. It seemed like every time he turned around – another problem. Sometimes, when he’s working on plumbing projects or something similar, the same thing happens.

You see, my husband was blessed with the many gifts – being mechanically inclined was not one of them. However, if you want to know something about the inner workings of some business deal or how a financial structure is set up – He’s your man. Heck, he has even built a home computer from scratch. He is a prime example of the fact that we all are blessed with different kinds of gifts.

It’s written throughout the Bible (1 Corinthians, Romans, and Ephesians) that God has given each of us gifts for the common good. What type of gifts? Wisdom, Knowledge, Faith, Healing, Miraculous Powers, Prophecy, Serving, Teaching, Encouraging, Contributing to the Needs of Others, Leadership, Showing Mercy and still others.

These gifts are not just offered to a select few of us… not just to the wealthy… not just to the intelligent… not just to the beautiful… not just the healthy - EVERYONE is loved by God and precious enough to Him to receive His gifts and His Grace. But, it’s up to us to nurture and cultivate these gifts, so they stay strong and vital in our lives.

How do we find out which gift is ours? Well, I went to the following website: http://www.churchgrowth.org/analysis/intro.php and took their test. My results showed that TEACHING was my Spiritual Gift. Actually, I’ve taken several tests like this before and teaching has always shown as my response… which works out pretty good, since that’s where I feel I’m drawn to serve in my church anyway.

So remember, all of us have been given a special ability from God. You may not be aware of what yours is yet. But, rest assured, He knows.

By the way, through no fault of my husband - my car still isn't running... LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment