Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Routine That Works

I went to lunch today with my sister. We visited a great Mexican restaurant – the same one we went to the last time we went to lunch. Afterwards, we went to our favorite fudge shop. We’ve only been to this little store twice (the first time was when we went to the Mexican restaurant last time - lol), but I like to think of it as our little secret. And on both occasions, after we made our purchases, we headed to my mom’s place of employment and dropped her off a sample of the chocolaty goodness we found. We’ve only made this little afternoon excursion twice, and yet it feels like a comfortable routine to me.

I like routines. I didn’t so much when I was younger. I always wanted to get up and go “on the fly”. If I saw something advertised on the television or heard something interesting on the radio, I’d grab my purse and be out the door on my way to an adventure in a heartbeat. But, now I enjoy the comfort of knowing that I can depend on my calendar to tell me when I’m expected to be somewhere – or not expected to be somewhere.

What has made the difference in my lifestyle? Well, a couple of things: 1) up until about twelve years ago my brain didn’t know how to survive without a constant rush of chaos and 2) numerous surgeries on my back and neck have forced me to limit my activities.

Now, unless you have lived your life in “fast forward”, you have no idea have nice “slow motion” can be to a person. Just the ability to take a deep breath is a privilege. Bi Polar – or Manic Depression – is living your life on a roller coaster that’s been set on full throttle.

If you’re not Bi Polar, you won't have a clue what I’m talking about. So, let me just define the two terms in the title of the disease:
MANIC: frenzy, state of abnormally elevated or irritable mood, uncontrolled by reason, craziness, to exhibit great energy… EXTREME FAST FORWARD

DEPRESSION: sense of inadequacy, symptoms that interferes with the ability to work, sleep, eat, and enjoy once pleasurable activities, and feelings of worthlessness, guilt, and hopelessness… EXTREME SLOW MOTION

Thankfully, I have: 1) a great doctor that regulates my medication 2) a wonderful therapist that has helped me learn new and exciting ways to deal with stress and anxiety 3) a fulfilling relationship with Jesus Christ that has taught me to accept me for the person I am and 4) friends and family that are supportive and loving. With all of these things working together, I can chug along at a speed that is comfortable for me… in a routine that works for me. I hope you have a routine you can manage, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment