Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

I was watching "House" today - a TV show about a very unorthodox doctor, named Gregory House - and he was trying to diagnose a patient's symptoms. If you ever watch the show, you know that all of the patients on this show have extremely difficult diseases to diagnose, and most aren't figured out till the last ten minutes of the show. Well, this episode wasn't any different.

The patient that was being evaluated this time basically had a type of amnesia - but with a twist. He suffered from a disorder called "Mirroring". Mirroring is a term which describes imitating or copying another person's characteristics, behaviors or traits. So, this guy basically became whoever was in the room with him. Because of this, it made it very difficult for the doctors to find out what was wrong with him.

Anyway, long story short... I really could relate to this character. You see, when I was at the height of my illness - when I wasn't taking medication or seeing a therapist on a regular basis - I counted on the people around me to "show" me how I was suppose to act in particular situations. My emotions were so far off the mark that I knew if I said and did the things my brain was telling me to say and do... well, it wouldn't have been pretty. (Unfortunately, a lot of times, I wasn't able to control myself.)

Thankfully, after 10 years of regulated medication and "honest" counseling, I feel like I am finally free. I feel like I am in control of myself. It's an amazing thing to FEEL emotions and be able to express them. God has been good to me. I am able to be ME - not a mirror of someone else - but the creation He made me to be. Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment