Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Monday, October 11, 2010

Technology


My husband was “channel surfing” today and we happened to come across a story, on the news, about cars that have the capability to drive themselves! When I was little, I remember hearing that someday we would have the technology for that to happen, but I never really believed it. I mean, come on, we still had phones with party lines back then. But, sure enough, this car – which had this huge metal contraption sticking off the top of it – literally had the means of operating without the help of the driver.

I remember, when I was a child, my grandparents didn’t have a television in their house. I couldn’t understand how they could live without one. But, of course, they explained to me that they didn’t even HAVE televisions when they were growing up. Same type of thing happened when my son was small. Nintendo! “Mom, how could you not have a Nintendo when you were little?” And the circle continues with his daughter… Wii and Netflix Instant movies and Digital Cameras.

However, with all the hi-tech, fancy toys at her disposal, my granddaughter has the most fun doing the same things her father did – the same things I did – enjoying the great outdoors!

“Man” will continue to create things that right now we can’t even believe possible. Years from now, my great-great grandchildren could feel sorry for me because I didn’t have the really COOL things they have. That’s why I feel it’s important to continue to show the NATURAL beauty of God’s world to my family. If they carry the love of God’s creations in their hearts, they’ll pass it on for generations to come.

Take a moment right now and think about what God has blessed us with in Nature… the sun on your face, the wind blowing through your hair, snowflakes falling on your eyelashes, shade trees to have picnics under, stars to wish upon, flowers blooming in the spring, leaves changing colors in the fall, squirrels and chipmunks running through the grass, frogs hopping into your hands, birds singing happy songs, clouds with imaginary identities – all of these and I haven’t even left my own backyard.

None of these experiences can be simulated on a video game or a movie. They must be lived. Take some time to get away from technology and enjoy God’s gifts to us!

Photo - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driverless_car

No comments:

Post a Comment