Welcome to Dymphna's Diary

Although I am not Catholic, I find it interesting that "Dymphna" is the patron saint of those who suffer from clinical depression and other mental illnesses. Considering the purpose of this site is to offer inspiration and spiritual guidance to my readers, I felt it was only right I chose her namesake for the title.

In 2010, this site was set up to pass along personal information about how depression has affected my life and the lives of my family. Since then, it has EVOLVED. In 2011, I attempted to present posts that were INSPIRATIONAL to you, my readers. In 2012, I went even deeper with personal stories from people across the United States via touching videos, songs, and interviews. My hope was to show each of you that even when you feel that you are in a situation that no one else could understand, you are not alone. Through it all, my comments have remained to be my personal opinions and spiritual reflections. I will continue to occasionally post information that I feel is beneficial in removing the stigma of mental illness, but regardless I feel blessed to have been given this platform to spread God's love and compassion for ALL people. I wouldn't be where I am today without the strength I receive daily from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My hope is that this blog will help you find some comfort in your life. It most certainly is helping me find comfort in mine.

I want to make it perfectly clear, though, that when I make generalizations regarding mental illness, I am NOT giving advice to anyone. I'm just passing along information that I have found helpful in my life. I'm writing about MY PERSONAL experiences and thoughts. Mental illness affects everyone differently and your situation may not be reflective of mine.


Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Little Peace and Quiet


I’m sitting here on the bank of the Green River, by a Ferry that is currently “out of order” because the water in the river is too low for it to properly operate, waiting for my husband to appear somewhere in the horizon in his bright orange kayak. His birthday is tomorrow, and his gift from me was a zip line/kayak trip package down in the Mammoth Cave area. He completed the zip line portion this morning – “It was a BLAST”, he told me – and this afternoon, he’s enjoying (I hope) a lazy time down the river – stopping off for lunch in a cozy cove along the way.

My husband is a people person, and I’m wondering how he’s doing on this 3 hour trip all by himself. I can easily imagine him paddling through the beautiful scenery, singing at the top of his lungs some song from the 50s or 60s, or perhaps he’s making conversation with a fish that jumped a little too close to his kayak. One thing I know for sure… he is not puttering along this peaceful, quiet, tranquil river in silence. That is not his style. Funny thing is – he was a loner growing up… always quiet.

Me, on the other hand… I don’t think I’ve said two words since I dropped him off this morning. (Not even when the 2 inch spider almost climbed over my bare foot a couple of minutes ago!) I’ve not always been that way, though... When I was younger, I was never quiet - ask my mom. LOL. (I would recite the appropriate commercials in each aisle at the grocery store for her.) Anyway, I’ve enjoyed just sitting here on this bank today… thinking.

Several years ago, I attended a Silent Retreat with a woman from my church. We spent the weekend with 13 other women, and from Friday night until Sunday morning, we didn’t speak to anyone. We had no televisions, no radios, no cell phones, etc. I was very apprehensive going into that retreat - and I have to be honest, it was kinda weird eating a meal with a group of people and not saying a word… you could hear everything; like your knife going across your bread when you’re buttering it or your lips smacking every time your mouth opens and closes - but when Sunday morning came, I didn’t want to go home! It was an amazing experience. Since then, I really have been able to enjoy days like today.

But, I know my husband isn’t wired like me… so, here I sit, looking around the bend of Green River, nervously waiting for that orange kayak. Realistically, I know I shouldn’t worry. Plus, I know I'll hear him long before I ever see him… lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment